The Clean Water Act is the federal legislation that governs stormwater management. Stormwater discharges to surface waters are regulated using National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits. Carlisle Borough received its stormwater NPDES Permit from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection in 2015. The permit requires the Borough to develop and implement a stormwater management plan that addresses the following minimum control measures:
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation and involvement
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site runoff control
- Post-construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations and maintenance
The Borough’s program is more fully described in annual reports the Borough submits to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection in conformance with its MS4 Permit. A copy of the most recent annual report can be viewed here.