Borough Purchasing Leaf Vacuum

At their January meeting, Borough Council approved the purchase of a leaf vacuum truck. The truck will make our current leaf collection, storage, and transport program more efficient. Most Borough residents* will no longer have to bag their leaves. The truck can pick up and completely mulch leaves and debris from curbsides, median strips, ditches, and other areas and then deposit that material into the truck's hopper. It will only take one staff member to operate the truck and the vacuum hose.
Leaf Truck Example

How is this being paid for? The purchase is part of the approved 2022 Public Works Department's budget. The Borough received a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection that covers 90% of the cost for the equipment. The remaining 10% will come from our stormwater fund cash reserves.


*Certain areas of the Borough may not suitable for vacuum leaf collection because of the lack of space for Borough staff to safely maneuver a vacuum hose boom between cars parked on the street. These areas included the area west of East Street, north of Willow Street, west of College Street, and south of D Street. Initially, residents of these areas will need to continue bagging their leaves. Crews will reevaluate after a year or two and provide potential modifications to the route. In the interim, staff recommends providing free paper leaf bags to these residents.
leaf map
Carlisle Borough Committed to Excellence in Community Service
Carlisle Borough 53 West South Street +1 717-249-4422 Mon-Fri: 7:30am - 4:30pm