When Do I Need a Permit?
The Borough of Carlisle Zoning Ordinance & Building Codes contains requirements for many home improvement projects you may be planning to undertake. Some projects require both building and zoning permits, while others may only require a zoning or building permit or possibly no permit.
Guide to Permit Requirements
Building Permit & Zoning Permit
- Any garage, carport, shed, pool house, or greenhouse that is not attached to a single-family detached dwelling and is 1,000 square feet or larger
- Enclosing a porch or patio
- Installing or building a sunroom or 3-seasons room
- Installing a deck that is more than 30” above ground level at any point around the perimeter of a deck
- Installing a deck less than 30” above ground level if it has a roof or covering above it
- Installing an indoor or outdoor hot tub or spa. With electrical device
- Installing any swimming pool (in-ground, aboveground, inflatable) that has a water depth of 24” or more
- Installing a fence higher than 6 feet or a retaining wall higher than 4 feet
- A garage, carport, shed greenhouse, gazebo, pool house or other structure less than 1,000 square feet
- All fences, regardless of height, except for underground (invisible) dog fences
- Installing an uncovered deck that is less than 30” above ground at all points around the perimeter of the deck
- Installing a pergola
- Installing an uncovered patio
- Installing or expanding a driveway or parking pad
This list is meant to provide you with a quick reference guide. To be absolutely certain if you need a permit of any kind, or if you have any questions, please contact the Borough's Codes Office at 717-240-6930.