Fire Safety Tips
Fireworks are often used to mark special events and holidays. The only safe way to view fireworks is to attend a professional show. With many professional shows, including Carlisle's, being canceled this year, it is important to know that fireworks are not safe in the hands of consumers. Fireworks cause thousands of injuries every year.
In Pennsylvania, consumers may purchase Class C fireworks, but there are many restrictions regarding their use.
- They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner.
- They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure, whether or not a person is actually present.
- They cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.
- More than 19, 500 reported fires are started by fireworks annually.
- Burns account for 44% of the 9,100 injuries treated in emergency rooms seen in the month around July 4.
- Half of the fireworks injuries seen at emergency rooms were extremities: hand, finger, or leg. One-third were to the eye or other parts of the head.
- Children ages 10-14 had the highest rate of fireworks injury, with more than one-third (36%) of the victims under age 15.
- Sparklers account for roughly one-quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries.
A Few Ideas For Getting Into the Patriotic Spirit (Without Fireworks!)
- Use glow sticks. They glow in the dark and are a safe alternative to a sparkler. Fun for all ages!
- Loud and proud. Noisemakers are sure to make a statement. They can be found at local party supply stores or make your own.
- Outdoor movie night. Set up a screen and a projector. Don't forget the bug spray!
- Red, white, and blue silly string. Fun for all ages!
- Make a patriotic craft with the family.
- Throw a birthday party for the USA. Don't forget the cake!
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from grills and in the trays below the grill.
Did you know?
July is the peak month for grill fires. Roughly half of the injuries involving grills are thermal burns.
- There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from other heat sources.
- There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
- If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off both the gas tank and the grill.
- If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
- If the flame goes out, turn the grill and gas off and wait at least 5 minutes before re-lighting it.
Outdoor Electrical Safety
- Use lighting and power tools that are listed by a qualified test laboratory and make sure they are made for outdoor use.
- Store your electrical tools indoors.
- Keep electric tools away from children.
- Keep the area around your electric meter and other electrical equipment clear.
- Check lighting and extension cords for damage before using. Replace damaged cords right away.
- Use extension cords that are listed by a qualified test laboratory and are marked for outside use.
- Extension cords are not meant for long-term use.
- Have a professional tree cutting service trim branches that might fall on electric wiring.
- Use a wooden or fiberglass ladder outside.
- Keep the ladder at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Never touch anything or anyone in contact with a downed wire.
- Power lines may be live, stay a safe distance away.
- Report downed wires to authorities right away.
Call 8-1-1 before any digging on your property. They will mark where your underground utilities are located. This is a free service!