When Do I Need a Street Cut Permit?

All work performed within the right-of-way involving the placing of utility facilities or other structures or the opening of the surface requires a Street Occupancy Permit.

Examples of work requiring a Street Occupancy Permit
  • Cut or cuts in street
  • Openings in grass or under sidewalks for the purposes of directional drilling or boring, whether in the street or not.
  • Replacement or installation of new poles or any other object or device relating to utility facilities within right-of-way, including on the sidewalk
Permits are not required for the placing of newspaper receptacles or mailboxes, stringing lines on non-limited-access highways, or accessing the utility facility through a manhole.

This list is meant to provide you with a quick reference guide. To be absolutely certain if you need a permit of any kind, or if you have any questions, please contact the Borough's Codes Office at 717-240-6935.
Carlisle Boorugh 53 West South Street 717-249-4422 Mon-Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM