Handicap Parking Space Requirements
- The resident shall submit his/her request in writing to the Borough. Please include name, address, and telephone.
- The affected resident shall provide the Borough with a letter stating the reasons and necessity for the preferred handicapped parking space from his/her physician.
- The vehicle, which will use the space, shall have a handicapped driver registration plate or placard issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. (You must provide a copy of this placard.)
- All parking restrictions and existing laws and ordinances shall remain in effect as presently posted. (You must acknowledge your understanding of this condition in writing.)
- The cost of the sign, post, preparation and advertisement of the Ordinance, and installation shall be paid by the requesting party. The total installation cost is: $290 (This can be acknowledged in the same letter as condition #4.)
- Applicant shall demonstrate proof of residence at the location where space will be installed. (A photocopy of your driver’s license will satisfy this condition.)
- Preferred handicapped parking will only be installed at those residences where the number of handicapped individuals exceeds the number of off-street parking spaces. (You must demonstrate that you have no available off-street parking at your residence, which is · accessible by you as a handicapped person. Please outline any off-street parking available for your use.)
Once you have all of the above information, please submit it to:
Borough of Carlisle
ATTN: Lucretia Hefflefinger
53 West South Street
Carlisle, PA 17013