How Can I Make a Difference?

How Can Your Household Help?
Lawn chemicals applied at the wrong times or at excessive rates are washed off by rain storms and carried into the storm sewers.  Practicing healthy household habits can keep common pollutants like pesticides, pet waste, grass clippings, and automotive fluids off the ground and out of stormwater. These actions can include the following:

  • Dispose of water properly
  • Clean up after your pets
  • Use fertilizers in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
  • Store materials that could pollute storm water indoors
  • Keep grass cutting off of the street

Residents looking to do more can consider a range of activities to reduce their properties’ stormwater footprint.  See the links section for further suggestions.

What Residents Can Watch For:
Inlets are provided in the street to help collect stormwater runoff.  However, some may use these inlets as a convenient location to improperly dispose of wastes.    These “illicit” discharges negatively impact water quality.  Illicit discharges can be accidental or intentional.   Residents can help reduce the impact of illicit discharges by immediately reporting unusual circumstances to Borough Public Works staff for follow-up action.  Some typical examples of illicit discharges are:
  • Sediment leaving a construction site in stormwater
  • Spills (Chemical, Gas, Oil)
  • Illegal dumping activity into streams or storm sewers
  • Dry weather flows within streets or from outfall pipes into storm drains or area streams (48 hours after a precipitation event)
  • Waste oil, antifreeze, paint, trash or other household chemical
  • Spills on roadways and other accidents
  • Discharge of chlorinated swimming pool water

Common indicators of illicit discharges include abnormal odors, strange colors, or oil sheen present around or inside storm inlets or pipes. Keeping harmful substances out of our water benefits everyone; environmentally and economically. If you witness or become aware of an illicit discharge, please contact the Borough Public Works Department at 717-240-6930. You must also fill out an Illicit Discharge Complaint form to provide to Public Works.

Carlisle Boorugh 53 West South Street 717-249-4422 Mon-Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM