Strategic Plan Update
"In Carlisle, our history inspires innovative ideas that create a safe, inclusive, and welcoming community where every individual can thrive and make a difference."
Carlisle Borough Council spent last Wednesday night reviewing and revising its proposed Vision Statement and Strategic Outcomes based on community feedback. These items will help create the Borough's first-ever strategic plan and guide our activities over the next several years. The vision statement represents what we hope to be known for and achieve over the next several years.
Borough Council created the original vision statement in March and then asked you for your thoughts. We first held three public outreach sessions and then conducted an online survey on Engage Carlisle and mailed surveys to all Borough residents. We received about 250 responses to our survey. We also solicited feedback from several community organizations, and students from Carlisle High School provided their thoughts and ideas.
In addition to editing the vision statement, Council and staff worked in small groups to refine the strategic outcome areas based on community feedback. The strategic outcomes are the things that need to go well for us to achieve our vision.
- Caring and Professional: Ensuring responsive, quality services by our knowledgeable and committed staff
- Vibrant and Thriving: Building an inclusive and engaged community by fostering creative opportunities, community connections, and a diverse economic base attractive to residents, businesses, and visitors
- Dynamic and Responsible: Responsibly managing the financial resources necessary to advance initiatives, provide essential services, and build a stronger community
- Healthy and Sustainable: Growing a healthy community, supported by thoughtful neighborhood spaces, that is socially and environmentally sustainable, improves quality of life, protects ecosystems, and conserves natural resources
- Welcoming and Livable: Building and maintaining inviting and safe neighborhoods through affordable housing and engaging recreational opportunities where residents and businesses flourish
- Accessible and Connected: Investing in safe pedestrian-, bike-, and transit-friendly options that connect people to the places they need to go, with convenient, accessible infrastructure that reduces car dependency.
Raftelis will now work with Borough staff to develop implementation plans, incorporating the community feedback received. The final plan will be presented for Council's approval in early fall.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share your thoughts with us!