Borough Council Approves First-Ever Strategic Plan
VIEW THE PLAN HERE
In August 2022, the Borough contracted with Raftelis, a planning consultant, to facilitate a community-informed strategic planning process to create a strategic plan that will help guide the Borough’s activities over the next several years. The facilitator first worked directly with Council, management, and staff. Small focus groups and listening sessions were also held with the chairs of the Borough’s boards and commissions, as well as the Downtown Carlisle Association. All input was then analyzed and summarized, along with gathering existing data about the community (financial trends, demographic data, housing, business and workforce statistics, etc,). This information was then shared with Council during an all-day planning session in March. During this session, Borough Council crafted the first draft of the vision statement, as well as strategic outcomes.
Next up was the community input phase. Three public outreach sessions were held where Raftelis heard from 46 residents. We also conducted a survey which was placed online, shared with various non-profits and civic groups, and mailed to each Borough property. About 250 responses to the survey were received. We also solicited feedback from several community organizations, and students from Carlisle High School provided their thoughts and ideas.
Council then worked on revising the vision statement during a public meeting, based on community feedback. In addition to editing the vision statement, Council and staff worked in small groups to refine the strategic outcome areas based on community feedback. The strategic outcomes are the things that need to go well for us to achieve our vision.
"In Carlisle, our history inspires innovative ideas that create a safe, inclusive, and welcoming community where every individual can thrive and make a difference."
- Caring and Professional: Ensuring responsive, quality services by our knowledgeable and committed staff
- Vibrant and Thriving: Building an inclusive and engaged community by fostering creative opportunities, community connections, and a diverse economic base attractive to residents, businesses, and visitors
- Dynamic and Responsible: Responsibly managing the financial resources necessary to advance initiatives, provide essential services, and build a stronger community
- Healthy and Sustainable: Growing a healthy community, supported by thoughtful neighborhood spaces, that is socially and environmentally sustainable, improves quality of life, protects ecosystems, and conserves natural resources
- Welcoming and Livable: Building and maintaining inviting and safe neighborhoods through affordable housing and engaging recreational opportunities where residents and businesses flourish
- Accessible and Connected: Investing in safe pedestrian-, bike-, and transit-friendly options that connect people to the places they need to go, with convenient, accessible infrastructure that reduces car dependency.