2024 Proposed Budget

Borough staff presented the 2024 Proposed Budget to Council and the public last night. The proposed budget is available for review here.

The budget proposes an increase in the Fire Services Tax of 0.315 mills. The Borough's two-tiered tax structure includes a General Purposes Tax and a Fire Services Tax. The General Purposes Tax helps fund general government, police, fire, streets, traffic signage/signalization, lighting, code enforcement, parks and recreation, and other Borough services. The Fire Services Tax helps fund a portion of our volunteer fire departments' needs. The General Purposes Mill Rate is 3.058 and is not proposed to change for 2024.

The current Fire Tax funds approximately 57% of 2023's fire expenses, while General Fund revenues absorb the remaining 43%. For 2024, the current millage of 0.437 would create a budget gap of $1,008,289 that would need to be closed through the use of General Purpose Tax funds that would otherwise go to other General Fund needs.

If the Fire Tax is raised as recommended, the average residential property (assessed value of $180,000) would see an increase in Borough taxes of $56.70 per year.

There are no proposed increases for Water, Sewer, Stormwater, or Parking in 2024. Trash and recycling rates are increasing to match the amounts charged by the vendor as part of our 2023-2025 contract. The quarterly rate for 2024 will be $80.25 (up from $75), and the Trash Tag Rate will be $7.92 (up from $6.92).

There will be a Public Hearing on the budget on Thursday, December 14 at 6:30 p.m. 
Carlisle Borough Committed to Excellence in Community Service
Carlisle Borough 53 West South Street 717-249-4422 Mon-Fri: 7:30am - 4:30pm